Published: 2020-01-28 10:18
Last Updated: 2023-05-30 19:04
Germany has declared its first confirmed case of the deadly coronavirus that broke out in Wuhan, China at the end of 2019.
Bavaria's health ministry said late on Monday that a man in the town of Starnberg, 30 kilometers (19 miles) southwest of Munich, has been confirmed as suffering from the virus.
The patient is in "good condition" and isolated under medical observation, Bavaria's health ministry said in a statement posted on its website. It did not disclose any details of the patient's age or nationality.
"People who have been in contact (with the patient) have been informed in detail about possible symptoms, hygiene measures and transmission channels," the health ministry said.
The ministry said it considers the risk to the general population in Bavaria to be "low." Authorities planned to hold a news conference in Munich on Tuesday where they would release further details.
The virus, which broke out in the central Chinese city of Wuhan at the end of last year, has thus far killed over 100 people, according to China's state newspaper, the People's Daily. The same source put the total number of confirmed cases in China at 4,193, though some experts suspect a much higher number.
Cases linked to people who traveled from Wuhan have been confirmed in a dozen countries, from Japan to the United States.
Read more: China coronavirus death toll passes 100, US, Canada issue travel warning