Published: 2020-07-29 16:53
Last Updated: 2022-12-03 12:45
Up to 10,000 mask-clad Muslims began pilgrimage rituals in Mecca on Wednesday.
The five-day pilgrimage was downsized by the Saudi Arabian government to prevent the spread of COVID-19.
Only people who are already residing in Saudi Arabia were allowed to take part in this year’s pilgrimage.
According to local authorities, only 30% of pilgrims are of Saudi Arabian nationality, the other 70% are foreigners living in the Kingdom.
The Muslim community is witnessing an exceptional pilgrimage this year, as participants are just a small fraction of last year’s 2.5 million pilgrims.
Pilgrims had their temperatures checked and completed a short quarantine period.