Published: 2021-10-13 11:47
Last Updated: 2023-11-30 02:43
Wednesday, the Assistant Secretary-General of the Ministry of Health for Epidemiological Affairs, Ghazi Sharkas, said that the preliminary results of the samples that were analyzed for the people who were poisoned in Jerash showed that the cause of their sickness is a bacteria called Shigella.
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), the Shigella bacteria is highly contagious and is caused by “touching surfaces contaminated with germs from stool from a sick person, such as toys, bathroom fixtures, changing tables or diaper pails” or “swallowing recreational water (for example, lake or river water) while swimming or drinking water that is contaminated with stool (fecal matter) containing the germ.”
“Symptoms usually begin 1–2 days after infection and last 7 days. Most people recover without needing antibiotics,” according to the CDC.
The director of Jerash Governmental Hospital, Sadiq Al-Atoum, told Roya Wednesday morning that the total number of poisoned cases reached 57 cases as of Wednesday morning, and that all patients were in stable condition.
Jerash Health Director, Muhammad al-Tahan, said that the directorate closed a bakery and restaurant in Jerash, on Wednesday.
Al-Tahan said in a phone call with Roya that the reason for closing the restaurant was because it was unlicensed, while the closure of the bakery was a precautionary measure.