Prince Harry to testify against British tabloid publisher

Lifestyle

Published: 2023-06-06 12:14

Last Updated: 2024-05-24 14:22


Prince Harry to testify against British tabloid publisher
Prince Harry to testify against British tabloid publisher

Prince Harry arrived at a London court on Tuesday to a sea of flashbulbs and camera lenses, to give evidence in his case against a British tabloid publisher for illegal information gathering.

The 38-year-old Duke of Sussex will become the first royal since 1890 to take the stand in a court case, when he testifies against Mirror Group Newspapers (MGN) Ltd.

In his latest legal battle with the press, King Charles III's younger son and various other high-profile claimants accuse MGN of unlawful activities, including phone hacking.

Harry has brought several cases against British newspaper groups since stepping down from frontline royal duties in early 2020 and relocating to California with his American wife Meghan.

Photographers and television camera crews had gathered since early morning to await his arrival but he said nothing to reporters after stepping out of a black SUV.

The prince earned a rebuke from the judge on Monday for not turning up for the opening statement in his case.

His lawyer said he had been attending his younger daughter's second birthday on Sunday.

In court, lawyer David Sherborne said Harry was targeted by illegal information gathering even as a young schoolboy and his phone would have been hacked on "multiple occasions".

"No aspect of the young prince's life was safe" from press intrusion, he submitted.

But representing MGN, publisher of The Mirror and The Sunday People tabloids, lawyer Andrew Green said there was "no evidence" that Harry's phone was tapped.

The case against MGN centers on claims its tabloids conducted unlawful information gathering to obtain stories about Harry and other claimants, including two TV soap opera actors and the ex-wife of a comedian.

At the start of the trial on May 10, MGN apologized and admitted to "some evidence" of unlawful information gathering, including for a story about Harry.

But it denied voicemail tapping and also argued that some claims had been brought too late.

Sherborne submitted that "industrial scale" illegal activities were happening at MGN and had been approved by senior executives.