US to send tens of millions of dollars worth of weapons to “Israel” ahead of Rafah offensive

World

Published: 2024-02-17 12:06

Last Updated: 2024-04-16 17:48


US to send tens of millions of dollars worth of weapons to “Israel” ahead of Rafah offensive
US to send tens of millions of dollars worth of weapons to “Israel” ahead of Rafah offensive

The Joe Biden administration is preparing to send weapons and ammunition worth tens of millions of dollars to “Israel” ahead of its planned attack on the border city of Rafah in Gaza - per the Wall Street Journal citing current and former US officials.

The delivery includes approximately a thousand of MK-82 and KMU-572 bombs in addition to FMU-139 bomb fuses.

The “Israeli” government is said to have requested the “rapid acquisition of these items for the defense of Israel against continued and emerging regional threats.”

An assessment of the request was made by the US Embassy in Jerusalem, and found that there are no potential human rights concerns with the sale.

“Israel takes effective action to prevent gross violations of human rights and to hold security forces responsible that violate those rights. In the past, Israel has been a transparent partner in U.S. investigations into allegations of defense article misuse,” the assessment said.

The shipment comes amidst the US’s claims of supporting a ceasefire negotiation process between the Israeli Occupation and Hamas, along with other mediators.


Also Read: US investigating “Israeli” white phosphorus strikes in Gaza, Lebanon


Earlier on Thursday, the US Department of State started investigating several airstrikes carried out by the Israeli Occupation Forces (IOF) in Gaza and Lebanon using white phosphorus.

The probe by Washington aims to verify whether the IOF used internationally prohibited white phosphorus weapons, supplied by the United States.

Officials stated that the State Department is investigating an airstrike carried out on October 31st in the Jabalia refugee camp, which resulted in the deaths of more than 125 people.

Weapons investigators suspect that Tel Aviv used a 2000-pound bomb in this strike, potentially supplied by the United States, which could constitute a war crime, per The Journal.

Spokesperson Matthew Miller clarified that the Department of State aims “to systematically assess civilian harm incidents and develop appropriate policy responses to reduce the risk of such incidents occurring in the future.”